Friday, February 1, 2013

Flip/Flop February Day 1: Gradient

Hello lovelies! Happy Friday!!! I am certainly looking forward to my weekend, how about you all?

Today I am excited to start a new challenge! I know I know I totally failed the last 31 day challenge BUT this one is a no pressure relaxed challenge that allows you to do as many or as little as you would like. Perfect for a working student like myself. This challenge is also great because it allows you to  choose one of two techniques  each day. Day one was gradient or skittle mani. I decided to put on my big girl pants and try yet again to successfully pull of a gradient nail. I have no idea why this is so difficult for me but hey practice makes perfect right!?!

So here is what I used from left to right: my trusty dusty little glass shot glass thingy ( obviously that is the technical term ;0) ) I use this to pour my acetone and dip my angled liner brush in it to clean up my edges. Next up is a Sinful Color, which I will update and name later because I am at work and currently forgot the name ( for shame!). I used that with another nameless Sephora mini in a darker shade of purple.  My top coat was the ever fast drying Seche Vite. Also pictured is my makeup sponge used to apply the polish and my baggie used to set and dip the polish.

Ta da! :0/....OK so I know its not perfect, this is a technique that I really have yet to master, but hey that's the whole point of this challenge. Go big or go home is what I always say.

There are a few techniques floating around out there to achieve this look. I was short on time so I chose to paint strips of color on my baggie, lighter shade on top darker on bottom. Then I took my makeup sponge and dabbed on the color and transferred it on to my nails. This took several layers of sponging but went relatively quickly. After I had my desired color I let it dry and cleaned up the edges ( this manicure is VERY messy) once all of that was done I applied a coat  of Seche Vite and called it a night.

Be sure to check out the other lovely ladies participating in this challenge!

Keep it polished!
<3 Jess

PS please excuse my ugly ring finger, being a pharm tech often means nasty paper cuts :0(

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I cant do gradients either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for big girl pants! I can't do gradients very well yet either.. and its so frustrating because they look so much easier than lots of other techniques!

    ReplyDelete