Saturday, February 2, 2013

Stained Glass Accent

Hey there everyone! How is everyone's Saturday going? Mine has been wonderfully relaxing with the exception of a few loads of laundry.

I am super excited about today's post. As you know I am participating in the flip/flop February put on by Jilian over at jilltastic nail designs, you can check out her blog here.

So today's challenge options were stained glass or accent nail. This was a rough decision for me...I knew I didn't want to just do an accent nail because I often do those and this is a challenge meaning you should challenge yourself. Problem was I have never done a Stained glass nail, didn't really know if I wanted it on all of my nails, and to be honest everything I googled for this technique was really not my style. And then I saw a super detailed super awesome design that was of a scene from a church window. I knew I wouldn't be able to pull that off but it gave me the inspiration I needed to refine my search. I finally found a cute dragonfly stained glass art piece that I thought I might be able to pull off. You can check out the artwork here.
Since this was my first attempt at this I decided to combine today's options and do a stained glass accent nail.


I started off with just one coat of Zoya's Zuza



 Then looking at my picture for reference I began to carefully paint on my dragon fly using some acrylic paint from a set my sister gave me for Christmas (seen above) and my thin paint brush 


After letting that completely dry I decided to do the outline of my "glass panes" with a dark blue sharpie (I could not find black to save my life). I am not sure if this is considered cheating because I didn't use black paint but I just new I wouldn't be able to outline it without messing the whole thing up (I am extremely new to freehand painting designs).





I am so pleased with how these turned out!!!! I know its not super crisp but for me this was pretty freaking good!

Here is a picture of the accent nail next to its inspired piece


Not too shabby if you ask me :o). Hope you all enjoy these as much as I do. Also don't forget to check out the other talented ladies joining me on this challenge journey

Thank you all for stopping by! Check back tomorrow for day three, pretty sure I am going to try my first water marble so it should be interesting!

Keep it polished!
<3 Jess

2 comments: